“How do I create a successful personal growth strategy?”

“How do I create a successful personal growth strategy?”

Auren Hoffman, CEO of LiveRamp, answers:

“Most really smart people right out of college grow only 10%/year. That is WAY TOO SLOW for a 22-year-old. At 22 one should be growing at at least 25%/year. Most people grow way too slowly because their rate of failure is too low.

You grow the most when you have a 33-66% chance of failure. To improve, you want to be in a position where success is not guaranteed. When success is difficult to attain, people push themselves much harder. Too often, people (especially recent grads) are put into jobs that they will definitely succeed at. […] For your job, you should find an organization that will give you projects where there is a high chance of failure.”

Reminds me of this quote by Alain de Botton:

“Anyone who isn’t embarrassed of who they were last year probably isn’t learning enough.”

Seems like, on average, ~50% of chance of failure is the yearly rate to hit embarrassment, and therefore, successful personal growth. This is not just cute wording, but an actually applicable heuristic. How can you pursue more personal and professional goals with >30% chance of failure so you ensure to grow ~20% a year?

Get my new content on careers and networks delivered to your inbox
I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn how to optimize your blog for search engines, find free traffic, and monetize your website.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com